Friday, August 21, 2009

Welcome to the Grand Valley Economic Report

This blog is my economic reporting vehicle for the Grand Valley area. The Grand Valley consists of Grand Junction, Palisade, Fruita, Clifton, Mack, Loma, and Whitewater. All of these places and the neighborhoods that surround them are in Western Colorado. This blog is primarily designed for people who are business oriented and have an eye for business in the Grand Valley area.

I am primarily interested in writing this blog to put to good use my education that I received from Regis University in Political Economy. Unfortunately, many people do not understand what political economy is or why they would ever want to study it. The simple answer to that question is another question. Do you like seeing what other people do not? If you answered that question as a yes, then political economy is something that you would enjoy studying. The reason why is because political economy allows one to pick up on trends, deals, businesses, and pretty much anything of interest in any economy in the world from a unique perspective that no one else has. As the recipient of an award for economics from my university, I can attest that economics is more than just crunching numbers and getting the right answer. It also takes a certain element of interpretation to know what the numbers mean. In other words, it teaches one to become an investor. More than that political economy teaches one to be a citizen. All too often those who focus only on business and money become the kind of person that Ebeneezer Scrooge would look up to. Unfortunately, in life, as we find out from A Christmas Carol, the more people one alienates the less rich their life becomes.

In any case, this is also going to be a fun way for me to be an analyst of business news in the Grand Valley. I hope to provide meaningful content to a variety of different people from a variety of different sources about business developments in the Grand Valley. Fortunately for me, I get to have a lot of fun while doing it.

So I hope you like my blog and I hope you get something out of it. Remember to always be looking for new opportunities. It's only a matter of time before the right one comes your way.